How to Mark A Book by Mortimer Adler

 How to Mark A Book by Mortimer Adler



The author Mortimer Adler is writing about the process that he believes one should take when they own a book. That is, Marking or writing in the book to fully absorb the knowledge. The author describes it as a conversation between the reader and the author. According to Adler, there are three different types of book owners. Firstly, those that buy first edition, vintage, hard cover books and do not read them. They keep them in mint condition and just collect them just for collecting them sake. Secondly, those that buy books but only read some, browse through some and leave the rest unread and leave the books is great condition. lastly, the persons who buys books and reads them several times, writes in them, leaves the book with doggy ears and looking old and worn. According to the author it is the last set that truly own a book.

I think that the author is entitled to his opinion. I do not disagree with all of what he is saying, but within this work I note the authors lack of acknowledgement that there are just different types of people and different types of readers. For example, myself. I love to read fictional stories. I have many books that i have read several times but I take care of my books and though they have been read several times they do not look disheveled. I prefer to read hard copy books and the only books that I ever feel it appropriate to write in is an educational book, inspirational books note book or something historical or non fictional. There are different types of books that peak peoples interest and I think they author was so focused of trying to force his point that he forgot that all books have no such need to be marked in. If someone is reading a romance novel the most appropriate thing that you would maybe see are the names of the two love in a heart as we hope for the progression of the relationship as we go. 

Books are personal and I agree with the author that some people do not actually own books they just have them. Reading is a great educational tool as it helps you to be able to read more fluently, it increases thinkability, and it increases the internal word bank. I admire Adler's passion for books and for reading. Consequently, I believe that he should just take heed with the fact that people view books differently, and how to handle for one is not how to handle for another.

Comments

Popular Posts